Upon enrollment into Canyons School District, every family must answer the following questions found on the Home Language survey:
- Which language does your child most frequently speak at home?
- Which language do adults in your home most frequently use when speaking with your child?
- Which language(s) does your child currently understand or speak?
- What language do you prefer for school to home communication?
- Identifies a student whose home language is not English
- Identifies a student who will be assessed annually on the skills of listening, speaking, reading and writing in English because another language other than English is spoken at home
- Determines whether a student would benefit from academic language support along with the regular education program
At the beginning of the school year, Local Education Agencies (LEA’s) have 30 days from the time student first registers to be identified as limited English proficient, and be placed for appropriate educational services. After the start of the school year, then LEA’s have 14 days from registration day to identify and place students into services [Section 1112(g)(1)(A); Section 3302(a)].
All children are entitled to language support services as a Civil Right.
Information collected will be used solely for instructional purposes and CANNOT be used for immigration matters or reported to immigration authorities.