Open Enrollment / School Choice

Students who wish to attend a school other than their neighborhood school—the one assigned to them by geographic boundaries—may apply to transfer to another school by submitting an Open Enrollment request online.

School permit transfer requests are approved when space is available and on a first-come, first-served basis, and parents can submit an application online from the comfort of their home or office.

In Canyons District there are two Open Enrollment periods: Early Enrollment and Late Enrollment. The Early Enrollment period is the recommended time to enroll for the next school year. Late Enrollment is generally, but not always, for the current school year and may be applied for at any time during the year.

Early Enrollment extends from December 1 through the third Friday in February each year. Approved permit transfer requests shall become effective the following school year beginning on the first day of school.

Late Enrollment permit transfer requests can be filed at any time for the following school year or for the current school year. Simply adjust the year for which you are making application. Approved transfer requests shall become effective the following school year or the current year as indicated in the application.

Once a school administrator approves a permit transfer request, the permit will renew automatically every year thereafter as long as the student remains at the same school and their permit is not revoked. Permits must be renewed when a student advances from elementary to middle school or from middle school to high school.

Open Enrollment permit requests can be submitted at most CSD schools. The exception is Willow Springs Elementary, which has been placed on moratorium status by the Canyons Board of Education. This means that students who don’t live within the schools’ boundary won’t be allowed to enroll for the coming school year.

The school administrator of the requested school shall accept the transferring student subject to the following:

  1. Space, staff, and programs are available to accommodate the student.
  2. The student has not committed serious infractions of the law or school rules, including rules of the requested school/district.
  3. The student has not been guilty of chronic misbehavior which would, if it were to continue after the student was admitted, endanger persons or property, cause serious disruptions in the school, or place unreasonable burdens on school staff.
  4. The school administrator may allow provisional enrollment of a nonresident student with prior behavior problems when conditions have been set under which the student would be permitted to enroll or continue.

The school administrator shall provide notification of acceptance or rejection to the student’s parent/guardian on or before March 1 for early open enrollment permit transfer requests.

Special Program Permit Applications Students accepted into the SALTA magnet program for advanced learners do not fill out Open Enrollment permit applications. The same is true for students who are newly enrolled in Dual-Language immersion programs.  When a SALTA  student advances from elementary school to middle school, the Instructional Supports Department will permit the student to Midvale Middle School if Midvale Middle School is not their boundary school.  When a Dual Immersion student advances from elementary school to middle school and from middle school to high school, the Instructional Supports Department will permit the student to the appropriate school if that school is not the student’s boundary school. SALTA and Dual Immersion permits are handled through a separate process by the Instructional Supports Department.

School Choice Open Enrollment Frequently Asked Questions
When is the School Choice Open Enrollment permit window for the 2022-2023 school year?
Canyons District’s Open Enrollment period starts on December 1, 2021, at 10 a.m. and ends on Friday, February 18, 2022, at the close of business. Applications are completed online.

What if I speak a language other than English?
The online application form can be completed in English, Spanish and French. Simply indicate your language of choice by using the drop-down menu located in the upper righthand corner of the application page. If you need an additional language, please contact the office of Planning and Enrollment for assistance, 801-826-5181.

Where can I go for assistance in completing the online application?
Tutorials explaining how to complete the online application are offered in EnglishSpanish and French. You may access the tutorials via the Online Application Portal.

How long will it take after I apply to find out if my student is accepted?
After you have submitted your Open Enrollment permit application, principals, or their designees, are encourage to respond within 30 days or a reasonable timeframe after receiving an application. Conversely, if you receive an email stating that your child has been accepted, you will have 10 calendar days to confirm the acceptance. You will receive three email notices to remind you that the 10-day window is closing. Once the 10-day window has closed, the permit invitation will be rescinded, and you will have to reapply to that school.

What if I applied to multiple schools?
Once you confirm an acceptance email, all other applications that you have submitted will be rescinded.

Can I submit a paper application directly to my school of choice?
Paper applications are no longer available.

TitleSizeHitsDate modifiedDownload
Permit Appeal Process 398.83 KB5208-24-2021 DownloadPreview