- The Board supports work-based learning (WBL) programs for students. The Board recognizes responsibilities associated with placing students in work and community environments outside the school setting. The Board also recognizes that consistent practices throughout the Wasatch Front South CTE Region will encourage employers to participate in WBL experiences. Therefore, the Board supports:
- Clear and concise work-based learning practices across all business, industry and community sites throughout the Wasatch Front;
- Uniform safety procedures across all WBL experiences;
- Consistency in WBL forms and procedures used in implementing WBL experiences; and
- Compliance with Utah Code §53G-7-902, Public or private school internships; R277-915, Work-based Learning Programs.
- The Board of Education reserves the right to enter into work-based learning partnerships and agreements with entities outside the Wasatch Front South CTE Region.
- The Board authorizes the Superintendent and the District Administration to establish administrative regulations consistent with this policy, subject to review and approval by the Board.
Work-Based Learning - 600.14-1
Canyons School District adopts the WBL forms and procedures as outlined by USBE, as well as the following guidelines:
- As required by law, procedures shall cover the following areas:
- Training for student interns, student intern supervisors, and cooperating employers regarding health hazards and safety procedures in the workplace;
- Standards and procedures for approval of off-campus work sites;
- Transportation options for students to and from the work sites;
- Appropriate supervision by employers at the work site;
- Adequate insurance coverage provided either by the student, the program, or the District;
- Appropriate supervision and evaluation of students by the District; and
- Appropriate involvement and approval by the parents of students in work-based intern programs.
- Issuance of Career Development Credentials as outlined in Utah Admin. Code R277-705-6, Career Development Credentials. The credential is intended to be earned in conjunction with a regular High School diploma, alternate diploma, or certificate of completion and does not replace any of those options. See-Exhibit-1.
- All WBL experiences shall be consistent with the provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act (29 U.S.C. Sec. 201, et seq.).
This online presentation is an electronic representation of the Canyons School District’s currently adopted policy manual. It does not reflect updating activities in progress. The official, authoritative manual is available for inspection in the office of the Superintendent located at 9361 South 300 East Sandy, UT 84070.