- The Board of Education is committed to enabling students to increase their academic capacities and prepare for college and careers.
- The Board of Education recognizes school instructional programs offered outside the regular school year provide opportunities and benefits to students, including but not limited to: opportunities to accelerate programs of study; flexibility for scheduling courses; and acquiring original credit or credit retrieval.
- The Board of Education may designate Board-Approved Summer Programs outside the regular academic school year.
- The Board of Education authorizes the Superintendent and District Administration to plan and conduct summer school programs in accordance with state guidelines, District policies and budget provisions.
- The Board authorizes the Superintendent and District Administration to establish administrative regulations consistent with this policy, subject to review and approval by the Board.
Definitions - 600.11-1
- Summer School Original Credit/Credit Recovery Programs: Canyons School District offers program for original credit or credit recovery outside the regular academic school year.
- Board-Approved Summer Programs: Academic programs approved by the Board of Education in a public board meeting, that are operated or held during summer months, or extend into the summer. Board-Approved Summer Programs are subject to periodic change.
- Examples include, but are not limited to: Hillcrest Boot Camp, Jordan High School’s AVID Bridge, Step to the U.
Summer School - 600.11-2
- The Superintendent and his/her designee shall be responsible for recommending to the Board of Education school specific Board-Approved Summer Programs as referenced in 600.11 (2), in coordination with Instructional Supports Department (ISD) and School Performance.
- Summer programs and courses for original credit and credit recovery will be consistent with approved CSD course-taking patterns and programs of study.
- Students participating in CSD summer semester programs are subject to the provisions of District policy, including but not limited to student attendance, student conduct and discipline, student dress code, student travel, and nondiscrimination policies.
- Fees for summer semester programs shall be consistent with the fee schedule approved by the Board of Education and subject to fee waivers.
- Compensation for administrators and licensed personnel during summer semester programs shall be consistent with approved salary schedules and approved stipends.
This online presentation is an electronic representation of the Canyons School District’s currently adopted policy manual. It does not reflect updating activities in progress. The official, authoritative manual is available for inspection in the office of the Superintendent located at 9361 South 300 East Sandy, UT 84070.