- The Board supports the concept that the students in the District are entitled to experience good dramatic productions. The Board recognizes that class and school drama productions are an extension of the state core curriculum as well as national standards, and enhance students’ understanding and interpretation of the world around them. To assure that age-appropriate material is performed and/or produced in District schools, the Board authorizes the establishment of a Drama Production Selection Committee according to the guidelines established below:
- District Drama Production Selection Committee is to be established at the District level. This committee will screen productions that will be presented within the school programs in Canyons District.
- A Local Drama Production Selection Committee is to be established at the local school level. This committee will screen productions to be presented within the school program and recommend productions which are not on the District approved list to the District Drama Production Selection Committee.
- The Board authorizes the Superintendent and District Administration to establish administrative regulations consistent with this policy.
Approval Responsibility - 600.17-1
- The Administration and the local school principals have the responsibility through the local and District Drama Production Selection Committees to approve appropriate material to be produced by District schools.
Drama Production Committees - 600.17-2
- Membership on the Local Drama Production Selection Committee shall include the following:
- Local school drama teacher
- Principal or other administrator as assigned by the principal
- A parent member of the School Community Council.
- One additional teacher depending on presentation format (i.e., music teacher for musicals, English teacher for plays, etc.)
- Functions of the Local School Drama Production Selection Committee
- Approve local recommended material for submission to District Drama Production Selection Committee for final approval
- Complete a District Drama Production Recommendation Form and submit it to the District Drama Production Committee
- Submit a copy of the script to the District Drama Production Selection Committee Chair
- Drama teacher submitting script may be asked to make a five-minute presentation to the District committee
- Membership on the District Drama Production Selection Committee
- One School Performance Director (from the area submitting the script)
- The Director(s) of Instructional Supports Department (ISD)
- Two consultants (fine arts consultant and English/language arts consultant)
- The principal of the school submitting the script
- Submitting teacher may bring one other drama teacher to the meeting in which they submit their selections
- Functions of the District Drama Production Selection Committee
- To receive and approve recommendations and address concerns from the local School Drama Production Selection Committee
- To review and revise District drama approved production lists
- To make teachers and students aware of the committee and its purpose
General Procedures - 600.17-3
- Materials used in class by students for individual assignments shall be approved by the classroom teacher and reviewed by the local school principal or other administrators assigned by the principal.
- Material involving school productions shall be approved by the Local School Drama Production Selection Committee for final approval.
- If a production already appears on the District Approved List of Drama Productions, it does not need to be resubmitted, however, it still must be approved by the Local School Drama Production Selection Committee.
- If a production appears on the District Approved List of Drama Production, it is the responsibility of the local school to make certain the interpretation of the material is reasonable and within acceptable community standards. In addition, any cuts or script modifications must be in compliance with federal copyright law.
- The decision of the District Drama Production Selection Committee will be final.
Adopted – 12.6.2005.
This online presentation is an electronic representation of the Canyons School District’s currently adopted policy manual. It does not reflect updating activities in progress. The official, authoritative manual is available for inspection in the office of the Superintendent located at 9361 South 300 East Sandy, UT 84070.