- It shall be the policy of the Board to establish the length of the working day for all employees. The length of working days may vary for different categories of employees. The Board delegates to the District Administration the responsibility of determining the working hours for all employees.
- The Board believes that all teachers should be provided a duty-free lunch period and directs the District Administration to administer the duty-free lunch regulations.
Administrative Responsibility - 410.03-1
The immediate supervisor or school principal shall have the responsibility of scheduling the hours of work for individual employees to conform to the requirements within each position. This will be done within the following regulations:
- Full-time licensed personnel assigned to a school, multiple schools, or the District Office, are expected to work for eight (8) hours per day at their assigned location(s).
- Licensed personnel assigned to a single school are expected to work at least 30 minutes prior to and 30 minutes after the student day.
- Licensed personnel working on a part-time basis will have their hours prorated and determined by the school principal or immediate supervisor in cooperation with the Director of Human Resources or designee.
- Hours of work that job-share and part-time employees are required to spend on assignments such as parent/teacher conferences, committee work, faculty meetings, etc. shall be prorated by the percentage of a full-time contract.
- If a licensed job-share or part-time employee is required to work in addition to the prorated percentage of a full-time contract, they shall be compensated at their hourly rate according to the Licensed Salary Schedule-Hourly Rate sheet.
- Scheduled faculty meetings are held at the principal’s discretion, up to two per month.
- If a faculty meeting exceeds contract time, through collaboration with the principal, the licensed employee may exchange this time for other non-student contract time, within five working days.
- Faculty members who are unable to attend faculty meetings outside of contract time are still responsible for all information presented.
- Principals retain the authorization to require staff to attend no more than two off contract time events without compensation (e.g., back-to-school night, school carnival, dance/concert/game supervision, graduation, etc).
- Rotational duties shall be equitable among all licensed personnel.
- Licensed personnel may not perform work for or receive compensation from another organization/company/employer during contract time with Canyons School District unless appropriate leave has been requested and approved.
Duty Free Lunch - 410.03-2
- A thirty (30)-minute duty-free lunch period should be provided for licensed employees who are based at a school.
- Elementary teachers shall be scheduled for student supervision during their lunch period, as little as possible, still meeting school needs for supervision during inclement weather. Supervision procedures shall be designed and implemented by each school administration and staff.
- Licensed employees may leave the school site during their lunch period after notifying their principal or designee.
This online presentation is an electronic representation of the Canyons School District’s currently adopted policy manual. It does not reflect updating activities in progress. The official, authoritative manual is available for inspection in the office of the Superintendent located at 9361 South 300 East Sandy, UT 84070.