- The Board recognizes the importance of an orderly process to arrive at negotiated settlements with the recognized exclusive representatives and bargaining agents of employee groups (licensed and Educational Support Professional (ESP), excluding administrators). The Board, therefore, delegates to the Administration the responsibility of conducting good faith negotiations within the parameters set by the Board and reporting those negotiations to the Board.
Scope of Negotiations - 410.0-1/420.0-1
- The employee agent group is defined as the professional employee association with the largest membership based on full-time equivalent employees. The Administration will recommend to the Board a negotiating team to represent the Board in conducting negotiations with recognized employee groups according to approved regulations.
- Formal negotiations meeting dates will be determined no later than May 1 of each contract year.
- Beginning with the first negotiating session, procedural agreements concerning negotiations will be mutually established.
- Employee agent group members will be provided a maximum of six (6) days to complete the negotiation process.
- After July 1, if agreement has not been reached in negotiations, the Board or the employee agent group or both parties together may declare an impasse.
- Immediately after declaration of impasse by either party, the Board will invite the employee agent group to participate in mediation using the services of a mutually agreeable mediator. The role of the mediator will be to facilitate communication. All costs associated with mediation will be shared equally by the Board and the employee agent group.
- If mediation is not completed or otherwise terminated within forty-five (45) days after the appointment of a mediator, further mediation may continue at the discretion of the Board.
- The Board of Education is not bound by any agreement between the negotiating teams until a vote is taken in a public meeting.
This online presentation is an electronic representation of the Canyons School District’s currently adopted policy manual. It does not reflect updating activities in progress. The official, authoritative manual is available for inspection in the office of the Superintendent located at 9361 South 300 East Sandy, UT 84070.