- The Board of Education and Canyons School District is committed to the observance of federal copyright laws and publisher licensing agreements.
- The Board of Education authorizes the Superintendent and District Administration to establish administrative regulations consistent with this policy, subject to review and approval by the Board.
Compliance; Administration and Educator Responsibilities - 300.4-1
- To help ensure compliance with Canyons School District’s copyright policy, district and school administration shall:
- keep current with the status and changes in copyright legislation;
- provide training for all educators in Canyons School District concerning copyright policy; and
- provide reference information on copyright laws.
- It is the responsibility of administrators and educators to verify copyrighted materials are legally obtained and properly licensed, unless subject to a statutory exception (i.e., the classroom exception and face-to-face teaching, as contained in 17 U.S.C. 110 (1)(2)), and use them according to FAIR use guidelines.
- For additional information regarding the classroom exception and FAIR use guidelines refer to Copyright—Exhibit 1, Use of Materials in Schools.
- Employees in violation of the Copyright Policy will be subject to discipline under Canyons’ Orderly Termination Procedures-Licensed.
- Students who violate the Copyright Policy will be subject to discipline under Canyons’ Student Discipline Policy.
- Copyright—Exhibit-1: Use of Materials in Schools
- 17 U.S.C. § 101, et seq.
This online presentation is an electronic representation of the Canyons School District’s currently adopted policy manual. It does not reflect updating activities in progress. The official, authoritative manual is available for inspection in the office of the Superintendent located at 9361 South 300 East Sandy, UT 84070.