- The Board of Education recognizes data governance is an indispensable component of an organization to assess, manage, monitor, maintain, and protect an organization’s information.
- The Board of Education is committed to data governance methods and processes in accordance with state and federal law to protect personally identifiable information and maximize educational opportunities for students. All employees are responsible to protect student data.
- The Board authorizes the Superintendent and District Administration to develop administrative regulations consistent with this policy, subject to review and approval by the Board.
Definitions - 300.13-1
- “Data Governance Plan”: means an education entity’s comprehensive organizational approach to data and information management that is formalized in a set of policies and procedures to encompass the full life cycle of data; from acquisition, to use, to disposal. A Data Governance Plan includes, but is not limited to: protection measures for data, training components for employees and staff, and describes processes for sharing data between the District and outside entities.
Student Data Manager; District Data Governance Plan - 300.13-2
- The Director of Information Technology will be designated as the Student Data Manager in accordance with §53E-9-308.
Notification of Data Breach - 300.13-3
- Concerns about security breaches must be reported to the Director of Information Technology who will collaborate with appropriate members of the IT Response Team to determinate appropriate action steps to whether a security breach has occurred.
- In the event of a security breach, the Director of Information Technology will involve the Business Administrator or Superintendent as outlined in the District’s Data Governance Plan.
- The District shall notify the parent/legal guardian (or the student if the student is an adult) if there is a release of the student’s personally identifiable student data due a security breach in accordance with CSD’s Data Governance Plan.
Data Governance Plan - 300.13-4
- The District’s Data Governance Plan will be available on the Information Technology’s section of the District’s website.
- The District’s Data Governance Plan will be reviewed annually.
This online presentation is an electronic representation of the Canyons School District’s currently adopted policy manual. It does not reflect updating activities in progress. The official, authoritative manual is available for inspection in the office of the Superintendent located at 9361 South 300 East Sandy, UT 84070.