- The Board of Education has sole statutory authority and responsibility to approve new facility construction, building renovation, small capital facility projects, and bond issuance in Canyons School District.
- The Board of Education is committed to student safety, cost efficient use of public funds, and design standards that reflect current teaching processes and efficient service areas in construction, renovation, and maintenance of facilities. The Board recognizes small capital facility requests may originate from individual schools or departments. All small capital requests shall be reviewed by the Small Capital Facilities Committee.
- The Board authorizes the Superintendent and District Administration to establish administrative regulations consistent with this policy, subject to review and approval by the Board.
Facilities Ranking Methodology - 300.09-1
- The Facilities Services Department currently uses the Facilities Condition Index (FCI) to rank the condition of existing buildings within Canyons School District.
- The facility condition index (FCI) is a benchmark development by facility industry associations. The FCI is a ratio to compare of deferred maintenance dollars to replacement dollars and provides a means to compare and assess capital facility priorities. For additional information please refer to the References section.
Small Capital Facility Committee - 300.09-2
Small Capital Facility Committee:
- The Small Capital Facilities Committee (SCFC) is an administrative committee whose purpose is to assist Facilities Services to prioritize school and district requests and facility needs for small capital improvements. The SCFC ranks submitted projects according to priorities of safety and ADA compliance, risk minimization, individual facility need, and principal/department request. The recommendations of the SCFC are presented to the Board for approval and funding on an annual basis.
- Small Capital Facilities Committee Membership: The SCFC Committee includes, but it is not limited to the following District personnel: Business Administrator, the Director and Assistant Director of Facilities, a principal representative from each school, elementary, middle, and high school, the Director of Planning and Enrollment, and the School Performance Directors.
Facilities Services; Director of Facilities Services - 300.09-3
Director of Facilities Services Responsibilities:
- The Director of Facilities Services is responsible to oversee new facility construction, including but not limited to: compliance with code, formulation of education criteria, and schedules.
- The Director of Facilities Services may request the assistance of other district personnel to provide information and expertise as needed.
- The Director of Facilities Services may organize ad hoc committees to recommend various features to be included in a general plan of each building.
Facility Condition Index:
- International Facility Management Association (IFMA), available at http://community.ifma.org/fmpedia/w/fmpedia/2459
- Canyons School District adheres to federal law and adopted building codes by the State of Utah from various international and national code organizations. (A representative list is provided). For a specific code question, please contact the Facilities Services department.
- International Code Council (ICC) http://www.iccsafe.org
- National Electric Code (NEC) http://www.necconnect.org
- National Fire Prevention Agency (NFPA) http://www.nfpa.org
- International Energy Conversation Code (IECC) https://codes.iccsafe.org/content/IECC2018P3
This online presentation is an electronic representation of the Canyons School District’s currently adopted policy manual. It does not reflect updating activities in progress. The official, authoritative manual is available for inspection in the office of the Superintendent located at 9361 South 300 East Sandy, UT 84070.