- The Board of Education recognizes that the certification and training of school bus operators are fundamental components of student transportation in a public school system. The Board also recognizes that the assignment of bus operators and scheduling bus routes in an equitable and orderly process contributes to the safety and well-being of school bus passengers, operators, and the public.
- The Board authorizes the Superintendent and District Administration to establish administrative regulations consistent with this policy, subject to review and approval by the Board.
Director of Transportation; Bus Operator Standards - 420.07-1
Director of Transportation:
- The Superintendent delegates to the Director of Transportation:
- the responsibility for certification and qualification of school bus operators consistent with commercial vehicle licensures, proper endorsements, and physical examinations (See, Exhibit 1); and
- the responsibility to assign school bus operators, to schedule bus routes consistent with safety protocols, and ensure bus operator qualifications and service. (See, Exhibit 2)
Bus Operator Standards:
- A school bus operator’s primary responsibility is the safety of passengers and the safety of the public at all times.
- School bus operators shall make every effort to assure safety and shall follow established procedures for student discipline. (See, Policy 300.07—Student Conduct on Buses).
- A school bus operator is responsible to adhere to all Department of Transportation (DOT) regulations, Utah State Board of Education (USBE) regulations, and Canyons School District’s Department of Transportation procedures.
- A school bus operator shall not use a cell phone, wireless electronic device, or any headset, earpiece, earphone or other equipment that might distract a driver from his/her responsibilities, whether hand held or not, while the school bus is in motion and not appropriately parked or secured. This prohibition does not apply to the safe and appropriate use of two-way radios or to mounted GPS systems.
- Once the bus is stopped and safely parked, a school bus operator may use an electronic device for emergencies, to assist special needs students, for behavior management, for appropriate assistance for field/activity trips, or for other business-related issues.
- A school bus operator may use an electronic device for personal use once a school bus is safely parked and appropriately secured, and all passengers are safely off at a safe distance from the bus.
- A school bus operator is responsible to conduct pre and post trip inspections in accordance to Department of Transportation (DOT) regulations.
- A school bus operator is responsible to conduct end of bus route inspections to see that all students are off the bus. This inspection will be completed during the day at the end of a student delivery and after the final route of the day.
- Violation of the above provisions may result in personnel action and employee discipline consistent with district policies.
This online presentation is an electronic representation of the Canyons School District’s currently adopted policy manual. It does not reflect updating activities in progress. The official, authoritative manual is available for inspection in the office of the Superintendent located at 9361 South 300 East Sandy, UT 84070.