- The Board shall comply with federal law in relation to hours of work for all ESP – Educational Support Professional employees, and directs the District Administration to abide by the following regulations respecting hours of work.
Hours of Work (ESP) - 420.3-1
- The established work week for all ESP employees begins Monday at 12:01 a.m. and ends Sunday night at midnight.
- The maximum workweek by full-time ESP employees at their regular rate of pay shall be forty (40) hours.
- ESP employees who fall under the guidelines of the Fair Labor Standards Act (personnel included on the ESP master salary schedule) must be paid at one and one-half times the regular rate of pay for all hours worked over 40 in a work week or receive compensatory time off during the same month or the following month (first to last day of the month in which work is done) at the rate of one and one-half times the actual overtime worked during any workweek. Only compensatory time will be considered hours worked for the purpose of calculating the 40-hour work week.
- All ESP employees shall receive a minimum of two (2) hours at their regular rate of pay for any time they are required to return to their work location after their regularly scheduled work time.
- Each ESP employee shall complete a weekly time sheet which will indicate the number of hours worked each day of that workweek. The time sheet shall be signed by the employee and his/her immediate supervisor and shall be maintained by the Department supervisor.
- Any overtime work or call-back time shall be granted only upon the approval of the appropriate ESP director or supervisor.
- A duty-free lunch period shall be provided for all ESP employees scheduled to work more than five (5) hours per day. An employee shall not be compensated for his/her lunch period and may not be accumulated for use at a later date.
- ESP employees may leave their assigned work site for their lunch period provided they receive prior approval from their immediate supervisor.
- Schedules to provide adequate coverage to meet specific program and site needs shall be designed and implemented at each site by the immediate supervisor or staff.
- Employees shall not be required to work longer than five (5) hours without rest and food. At least 30 minutes must be provided for meals.
- Lunch periods may range from thirty (30) minutes to one (1) hour depending on the number of hours in the employee’s work day.
- ESP employees shall be provided with a ten (10) minute duty-free break period for each four (4) hour period worked.
- Employees’ minimum ten (10) minute rest period are counted as time at work.
- Employees’ ten (10) minute rest periods may not be accumulated for use at a later date.
- Employees who are required to work in excess of their contracted hours for the week of the holidays/recesses listed below shall receive pay at the rate of time and one-half, and compensatory time will not be allowed.
- July 4
- July 24
- Labor Day
- Fall Recess
- Thanksgiving Recess
- Christmas Recess (Non-Contracted Days)
- New Year’s Day
- Martin Luther King Jr. Day
- President’s Day
- Spring Recess (Non-Contracted Days)
- Memorial Day
- Employees who are called on an emergency basis to return to work shall be paid from the time they leave their residence until the time they return.
- Flexible work hours may be established for ESP employees if flexible work hours do not impede a department’s ability to provide necessary services or they adversely affect department morale. Requests for flexible work hours will be submitted to the department supervisor who will submit the request to the appropriate School Performance Director for Cabinet approval. Requests for flexible work hours must be applied for and approved at the Cabinet level annually.
- ESP employees may not perform work for or receive compensation from another employer during contract time with Canyons School District.
- The following disciplinary action shall be taken against employees who do not follow the above procedures:
- The immediate supervisor will confer with the employee.
- Reprimand shall be entered on the employee’s personnel file.
- A five (5) day suspension without pay may be imposed in the next pay period.
- A second disregard of policy and/or procedure may result in immediate termination.
This online presentation is an electronic representation of the Canyons School District’s currently adopted policy manual. It does not reflect updating activities in progress. The official, authoritative manual is available for inspection in the office of the Superintendent located at 9361 South 300 East Sandy, UT 84070.