- Canyons School District views the Internet as a valuable tool in communicating with patrons, employees, and students. School Web pages are an extension of the District Web site and should be treated as such. Careful planning and consideration should go into the design and development of any Web site that represents the District.
- The Board authorizes the Superintendent and the District Administration to establish administrative regulations consistent with this policy.
Responsibility and Management - 700.09-1
- The District Web site is managed by the Office of Communications, which is responsible for posting accurate and updated information on the site. In addition, each local school will have a designated Web representative who will be responsible for the school’s Web site and who will receive periodic training from the District Web Manager.
General Web Site Information - 700.09-2
- Every school is encouraged to have a Web site that is developed and maintained in a way that communicates a professional image of the school and District. School Web sites should be designed according to District Web Development Guidelines.
- All school and District Web sites must reside on District-owned Web servers. The Director of Information Systems must approve all exceptions. A user name and password will be assigned to the corresponding Web manager. These user names and passwords will be kept confidential.
- Information posted on the District Web site must first be submitted to the Director of Communications with final authorization given by the Superintendent of Schools.
- All materials posted on District and school Web sites must be submitted directly from the person and/or school or department responsible for the information with proper authorization from the principal/supervisor.
- Principals and designated school Web managers are responsible for all Web content. Students may participate in creating or maintaining school or department Web sites under the direct supervision of a teacher or administrator.
- The language used on District/school Web sites must be grammatically correct, free of spelling errors, and appropriate.
- Information that is dangerous, harmful, or not in harmony with Canyons School District’s guidelines, goals, or policies will not appear on District or school Web sites.
- Canyons School District Administration and the Office of Communications reserve the right to audit and/or adjust any materials on all District-sponsored Web sites.
- The following disclaimer must appear on each District/school home page:
We have made every effort to ensure that all links leaving this site are appropriate. Canyons School District and [school name] cannot be held responsible for information found on other Web sites.
- Every school and District Web site should have a visible link to the District’s Web site at canyonsdistrict.org.
- All copyright laws will be respected and adhered to.
- Web sites will be monitored frequently by the Office of Communications, local school principals and department supervisors for appropriateness, accuracy, and legal compliance.
- Local school Web representatives will frequently monitor their Web sites in an effort to keep their Web site free of outdated files.
Safety; Student Release - 700.09-3
- Safety and Privacy of Students, Teachers, and Staff
- Personal contact information about students, teachers, and staff members must not be published on school or District Web sites. This includes addresses, phone numbers, e-mail addresses, or any other personal information that could be used by unauthorized persons to identify or make personal contact with students, teachers, or staff members.
- Student names, student photographs, personally identifiable student work, class participation, activities, projects, etc., may be published on school or District Web sites with a signed release from the student’s parent or legal guardian. Without a signed release, no personal information about specific students can be used on school or District Web sites. This policy does not apply to student information systems where information about student’s attendance, grades, and assignments is accessible using login and password information.
E-Commerce; Domain Names - 700.09-4
- Individuals are not to use Canyons School District resources for personal profit or gain.
- The Board of Education allows advertising and e-commerce on Web sites at both the District and local school level; however, such advertising must adhere to the District’s Guidelines for E-Commerce and E-Banner Advertising.
- Domain Names/Web Addresses
- The use of standardized domain names will be adopted by all elementary, middle, and high schools and will be managed by the Information Systems Department.
This online presentation is an electronic representation of the Canyons School District’s currently adopted policy manual. It does not reflect updating activities in progress. The official, authoritative manual is available for inspection in the office of the Superintendent located at 9361 South 300 East Sandy, UT 84070.