The Board of Education encourages public engagement and frequently schedules time to listen to patrons during its Business Meetings. Public comment time is placed on the agenda at the Board’s discretion, with the exception of Truth-in-Taxation hearings, Budget hearings, and Board member compensation adjustments, in which public comment will be taken in accordance with state law.
To participate remotely during the patron comment portion of the Board of Education meeting, please send via email your name, address, and phone number to email@example.com by 5 p.m. the day of the scheduled meeting. In the email, please indicate the item or topic you wish to address. The Canyons Office of Public Communications will then send you an email message with detailed information regarding how to access the teleconference system that will be used to facilitate the patron comments.
Please note: The Board does not discuss matters which are not on the meeting’s agenda nor engage in public comment about personnel issues. Patrons wishing to address the Board about personnel issues are asked to do so in writing to firstname.lastname@example.org or:
Canyons Board of Education
9361 S. 300 East
Sandy, Utah 84070
Patron Comment Instructions:
- Patron comment time is limited to residents and taxpayers of Canyons District, students and parents of current students, and current employees of the District, except with prior approval of Board Leadership.
- Patrons, wishing to provide public comment are asked to write their names on the provided sign-up sheet 15 minutes before the start of the meeting. Participants must note the agenda item or topic they wish to address, and whether they represent a group.
- When several people share the same opinion, the Board may ask individuals to select a representative spokesperson.
- Speakers must indicate whether they hold or are seeking an elected or appointed position.
- Patrons may provide Board members with written documents pertaining to their comments. These documents must be submitted to the Board Secretary at the meeting or emailed to the Office of Public Communication at email@example.com. by noon of the day following the Board meeting.
- Time allotted for individual public comment is at the discretion of the Board President. Generally, individuals receive 3 minutes, and groups receive 5 minutes.
- Patrons may address the Board on the same issue once in a three-month period.
- Comments made are part of the public record of the meeting.