- The Board agrees to participate in a program of group insurance coverage (health, accident, and life) for all benefit-eligible employees. The insuring companies shall be reviewed by a selection committee and recommended for approval by the Board of Education.
- The Board authorizes the Superintendent and District Administration to establish administrative regulations consistent with this policy, subject to review and approval by the Board.
Insurance - 400.24-1
- Insurance enrollment includes an online process of completing, signing, and submitting forms and materials to the District’s Insurance Department.
- If an employee properly enrolls, coverage will take effect for the employee and dependents as follows:
- Annual Open Enrollment: Coverage elected during an Annual Open Enrollment will take effect on the first day of the next Plan year.
- Newly Eligible Employees: Coverage will begin on the first day of the month following the employee’s eligibility date (i.e., date employment begins). Newly eligible employees must complete enrollment within the first 30 calendar days of employment.
- Qualifying Event: Employees may qualify to enroll in the insurance Plan throughout the year, or make limited changes, in accordance with established qualifying event rules, including but not limited to: birth, death, marriage, and reduction in hours, etc. An employee must notify the Insurance Department and complete the enrollment process within 30 calendar days of the qualifying event. Coverage will begin as of the date of the event.
- Premium amounts and deductions for participation in the insurance programs shall be made in accordance with the schedule approved by the Board.
- Insurance coverage will end on the last day of the month in which an employee’s employment is voluntarily terminated.
- Insurance coverage will remain in force for employees who are involuntarily terminated until district level due process procedures are completed.
- If an employee completes his/her contract year, the insurance coverage will continue until the end of the contract year (e.g., August 31 for employees on traditional schedules, and June 30 for employees on fiscal year schedules).
- Employees who are eligible for Medicare benefits and continue their employment with the District will have the District’s insurance as their primary carrier. Employees should enroll in the Medicare Program during the first available enrollment period, preferably three (3) months prior to becoming eligible.
Revised – 4.25.2017. Policy 400.24 – Insurance was revised to clarify the District’s insurance program is for all benefit-eligible employees and to include insurance enrollment information for annual open enrollment, newly eligible employees, and qualifying events.
Adopted – 8.8.2006.
This online presentation is an electronic representation of the Canyons School District’s currently adopted policy manual. It does not reflect updating activities in progress. The official, authoritative manual is available for inspection in the office of the Superintendent located at 9361 South 300 East Sandy, UT 84070.