Oh the things we’ll do, the places we’ll go, and the people we’ll see when the pandemic is safely behind us.
After a year of Netflix binging and home improvements, we’ve just about exhausted our pandemic to-do lists. Who can blame us for looking ahead and pondering which of our forgotten pastimes and unrealized adventures we want to carry on with first — and who better to seize the moment than Canyons District’s retirees?
More than 80 CSD employees have signaled their intention to make this year of teaching, counseling, bus driving, or custodial and administrative work their last. No one could have imagined distance learning, face masks, and hand-sanitizer as the scenario for the conclusion of their careers. Yet, they’ve rolled up their sleeves, guided by passion and kindness to give their all to students in a year when students needed it most.
Now, it’s time to celebrate. As the great Theodor Seuss Geisel says: “Today is your day. You’re off to Great Places! You’re off and away!” The future holds many unknowns and “streets that are unmarked.” But, “it’s opener, out there, in the wide, open air,” and for people as “brainy and footsy” as you, there is oh so much fun to have, so much to do.
Whether their post-pandemic plans are to scuba dive and skydive, or they look forward to hugging their grandchildren and catching a movie with friends, CSD’s retirees are bound for great destinations, and deserve a proper send-off. Health guidelines bar us from hosting our traditional by-invitation-only Retirees Banquet. But each will receive a gift basket full of goodies and mementos courtesy of the Canyons Board of Education and administration, and schools and departments are saluting their retirees at Open House events held in line with physical distancing requirements.
Below is a list of those events. To be added to the list below, email the name of the retiree and the date, time and place of the Open House to firstname.lastname@example.org
Retirement Open House Events
- A car parade will be held at Altara Elementary in honor of the school’s teachers and retirees on Friday, May 7, 2:30-3:30 p.m. Families are welcome to participate, decorate their vehicles, and line up for the parade at the front entrance to the school.
- A car parade will be held in honor of East Sandy Elementary teacher Janet Broadhead on Friday, May 7, 1:30-2:30 p.m. East Sandy families are invited to participate by lining up in their cars to parade through the drop-off zone in front of the school.
- An Open House for Butler Middle School’s Terry Howell, Stephanie Lay and Vicki Wilkins will be on Wednesday, May 12 at 3-5 p.m. in the school’s media center, 7530 S. 2600 East in Cottonwood Heights.
- An Open House for Anthony Cannon, Sandra House, Kathryn Kern, and Dianne Landeen will be held at Corner Canyon High School Wednesday, May 12, 3-5 p.m., 12943 S. 700 East in Draper.
- An Open House for Speech-Language Coordinator Maria Hawley will be on Thursday, May 13, 3:30-5 p.m. in the PEAKS Center at the Canyons District Office, 9361 S. 300 East, Sandy.
- An Open House will be held for Draper Park Middle’s Helen Lowe-Dupas on Thursday, May 13, 3-4 p.m. in the school’s Media Center, 13133 S. 1300 East in Draper.
- An Open House for Jan Riley and Susan Taylor will be held Friday, May 14, 1 p.m. at the Crescent View Building (current site of Peruvian Park Elementary).
- An Open House for Mary Jo Murray and Cindy Wagstaff on Monday, May 17, 2:30-4:30 p.m. in the Twin Peaks & Superior Peaks rooms at the Canyons District Office, 9361 S. 300 East, Sandy.
- An Open House for Alta High dance teacher Traci Raymond will be held Wednesday, May 19, 2:30-4 p.m. in the Performing Arts Center Lobby at Alta High, 11055 S. 1000 East in Sandy.
- An Open House for Mount Jordan Middle’s Kimerlee Mitchell will be held Thursday, May 20, 2:30-4 p.m. in Mount Jordan’s Library, 9351 South Mountaineer Lane in Sandy
- An Open House for Copperview Principal Jeri Rigby and paraeducator Marcia Baird will be held Friday, May 21, 2-3 p.m. in Copperview’s Media Center, 8449 S. 150 West in Midvale.