The Canyons Board of Education is pleased to announce the recipients of the first-ever Canyons Apex Awards, honors designed to express gratitude to community leaders and educators who have been tireless champions of public education.
The awards, which will be presented during a Nov. 16 dinner and awards ceremony, publicly celebrate the hard work and dedication of educators, legislators, city officials and volunteers in support of the children who attend school in Canyons District, the first new district to be created in Utah in nearly a century.
“We are extremely grateful for the work of these fantastic people and organizations on behalf of Canyons District,” said Tracy Scott Cowdell, President of the Canyons Board of Education. “This is our way of paying tribute to all they have done to complement our efforts to provide a stellar education for our children.”
From the tireless parent volunteer who is never without a smile to the veteran educator whose honorable career is nearing an end to elected officials who must make tough policy decisions, Canyons District can count myriad community partners whose contributions cannot be underestimated or undervalued, says Cowdell.
The recipients of the inaugural Apex Awards are:
- Legacy Award Barry L. Newbold, Superintendent, Jordan School District
- School Administrator of the Year Laura Finlinson, former Canyons District Principal
- District Administrator of the Year Scot McCombs, Director, CSD Information Technology
- Teacher of the Year Mark Petersen, Science Department Chairman, Jordan High School
- Education Support Professional of the Year Gina Bench, Lead Contract Secretary, CSD Human Resources
- Legislator of the Year Rep. Greg Hughes, R-Draper
- Mayor of the Year Kelvyn Cullimore, Mayor, Cottonwood Heights
- City Official of the Year John Hiskey, Deputy Mayor, Sandy City
- Media Partner of the Year Comcast
- Business Partner of the Year Real Salt Lake
- Volunteer of the Year Shannon Reynolds, President, Region 17 PTA
The by-invitation-only event, at which entertainment will be provided by the Big Bad Canyons Band, will be held at the Last Chance Lodge at Solitude Ski Resort, one the District’s community partners. Honorees will be feted at a reception immediately preceding the dinner and Apex Awards ceremony.