Five Draper Park Middle School students have earned state awards for their creativity in essay-writing and video creation. The seventh-grade students in Utah Studies teacher Rick Bowman’s class won top prizes in the seventh- through ninth-grade division of the Utah Water Conservancy Contest. The awards are as follows:
– First Place and $250 cash award: Lauren Williams
– Second Place and $100 cash award: Preston Woodward
– Third Place and $50 cash award: Jason Casey
– First Place and $250 cash award: Brooke Meyers
– Second Place and $100 cash award: Luke Hayes
Students enrolled ingrades 4-12 within the water District’s eight counties were invited to submit a poem, essay or video pertaining to the contest’s theme: “Starting Small. How kids can help their families conserve water.” The top three winners in each category received a cash prize.
More than 1,500 students entered the contest.