The Class of 2014 is racing toward the finish line of their public school experience, with many poised to begin their new journey with one of Canyons’ unique college- and career-ready diplomas.
Commencement ceremonies have been scheduled as follows for CSD’s five high schools, South Park Academy at the Utah State Prison, Entrada Adult High School, Jordan Valley School, and Itineris:
- Alta High Tuesday, June 3, 10 a.m., UCCU Events Center at Utah Valley University
- Brighton High Tuesday, June 3, 1 p.m., Maverik Center
- Corner Canyon High Tuesday, June 3, 3 p.m., UCCU Events Center at UVU
- Hillcrest High Tuesday, June 3, 6 p.m., Maverik Center
- Jordan High Tuesday, June 3, 6 p.m., Jordan High Stadium. (In case of inclement weather, the ceremony will be held at 10 a.m. at the Maverik Center)
- South Park Academy Wednesday, June 11, 8 a.m. and 10:30 a.m., Utah State Prison
- Entrada Tuesday, June 24, 7 p.m., TBD
- Jordan Valley Friday, May 30, 11 a.m., Jordan Valley School
- Itineris Friday, May 30, 11 a.m., Show Barn at Thanksgiving Point
CSD high schools are firming up the numbers of students who will qualify to receive a CSD Advanced and Honors diploma, designed to indicate readiness for college and careers. Last year, 67 percent of CSD’s graduating seniors earned either an Advanced or Honors diploma. That’s an increase of 2 percentage points from the number earned by the Class of 2012, and 7 percentage points more than the number earned by the Class of 2011, which was the first in Utah to be awarded a differentiated diploma indicating college- and career-readiness.
The Canyons Board of Education in 2010 became the state’s first to approve college- and career diplomas as part of CSD’s college- and career-ready academic framework. They were supported by the Commissioner of the Utah System of Higher Education, the Utah Board of Regents, the Salt Lake Chamber, and the Utah Technology Council.