The Canyons Board of Education received a proposal for new middle school boundaries that would include building a new Crescent View Middle School at a Draper location.
The proposal, created following community feedback on recommendations presented last spring by the Boundary Steering Committee, aims to better accommodate student enrollment and create cleaner school feeder patterns.
The proposal, presented Tuesday, Feb. 21, 2012, would:
- Build a new Crescent View in Draper (the District owns property on 1300 East).
- Create Crescent View’s boundary as south of 12300 South, to include about 1,250 students.
- Eliminate at least four Crescent View school bus routes and save more than $88,000 a year.
- Extend Mount Jordan Middle School’s boundary to 12300 South.
- Set the Indian Hills boundary from 10600 South to 12300 South (and Dimple Dell) and from the east bench to the new TRAX line, to include all of Altara, Sunrise, and Lone Peak elementary boundaries. This would include about 1,125 students.
- Result in the following projected, in-boundary enrollments for the other middle schools: Albion, 763; Butler, 774; Eastmont, 825; Midvale, 853; and Union, 938.
- Allow the existing Crescent View facility, which is near a TRAX stop, to be used for magnet programs, or preschool and all-day kindergarten program expansion.
Another part of the proposal would align the new Corner Canyon High School’s boundaries to include all students living south of 12300 South. The Board last fall approved elementary and high school boundaries to be implemented in the 2013-2014 school year.
Still to be determined: if, when, and where to build a new Crescent View Middle School; how to pay for it; and when to implement new middle school boundaries. A $20 million renovation, but not rebuild, to Crescent View was included in the $250 million bond voters approved in 2010. Several Board members expressed interest in exploring the possibility of another bond.
To view details or listen to the presentation, please visit http://www.boarddocs.com/ut/canyons/Board.nsf and click Agenda Item 2A. Comments on the proposal can be e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.