Canyons School District Parent Notification of Threat Reporting Procedures
School personnel are required to record each time they notify parents of a threat or incident involving any and all of the following categories: Suicide Threat, Self-Harm Threat, Bullying Incident, Cyber-bullying Incident, Harassment Incident, Hazing Incident, Abusive Conduct, and/or Retaliation Incident (consistent with Utah Code §53G-9-604).
Canyons School District procedures for notifying a parent of a threat or incident:
1. CSD employee has a duty to inform parents each time their student is involved in a threat or incident involving any and all of the following categories: suicide threat, selfharm threat, bullying incident, cyber-bullying incident, harassment incident, hazing incident, abusive conduct, and/or retaliation incident.
2. Reporting school personnel (administrator, school-based mental health specialist, teacher, etc) must complete the “Parent Notification of Threat or Incident” form in its entirety each time they notify parents of a threat or incident as outlined on the form.
3. Once parent is notified and form is completed, a hard copy of the form should be given to the school principal. The school principal shall keep original copies of all forms in a secure location. No electronic copies should be kept in shared or public folders.
4. It is recommended that reporting school personnel keep brief notes regarding the incident and action steps in a personal, non-shared folder.
5. Forms should be kept on-site until student graduates high school or if the legal guardian asks for the record to be expunged. *Threats and incidents of bullying, cyber-bullying, harassment, hazing, abusive conduct, and/or retaliation may be recorded on CSD Discipline Dashboard.
This online presentation is an electronic representation of the Canyons School District’s currently adopted policy manual. It does not reflect updating activities in progress. The official, authoritative manual is available for inspection in the office of the Superintendent located at 9361 South 300 East Sandy, UT 84070.