- The Board recognizes that from time-to-time out-of-district students may request to enroll as part-time students in Canyons District schools to attend classes and/or participate in Canyons School District sponsored extra and co-curricular activities. Because the Board’s primary responsibility is to provide educational services and opportunities for Canyons School District students, the Board limits opportunities for out-of-district students to enroll as part-time students and participate in Canyons District activities.
- The District Administration is therefore authorized to enroll out-of-district students as part-time students and allow out-of-district student participation in Canyons School District activities according to the provisions of the following administrative regulations.
Definitions - 500.33-1
The following definitions apply to this regulation:
- “Charter school” means State Charter School Board authorized charter school.
- “Co-curricular activities” means experiences, which may include field trips; science fairs; student art exhibits; and music, dance, and theater performances that are considered part of the students’ regular classroom instruction and are directly related to the State Core Curriculum. Participation is coordinated by the students’ classroom teacher or school.
- “Extracurricular activities” means educational experiences that are not considered to be part of the students’ regular classroom instruction. These include Utah High School Activity Association sanctioned athletic, music, and speech arts activities, as well as school club activities. Extracurricular activities usually occur outside the regular school day and participation is optional and may involve student dues or fees.
- “Out-of-district Consortium student” means an out-of-district student who is enrolled in a Wasatch Front Consortium member school district (Jordan, Granite, Salt Lake, Murray, or Tooele).
- “Out-of-district student” means a public school student who is enrolled in another public school district or State Charter School Board authorized charter school where the student’s permanent record is maintained.
- “CTEC” means Canyons Technical Education Center, which provides Career and Technical Education programs for grade 11-12 students.
- “UHSAA” means Utah High School Activities Association.
- “WFC” means Wasatch Front Consortium, a non-profit, cooperative consortium comprised of Canyons, Jordan, Granite, Salt Lake, Murray, and Tooele School Districts and post-secondary partner Salt Lake Community College.
Enrollment of Out-of-District Grade Kindergarten-10 Students as Part-Time Students and/or Their Participation in Canyons School District Sponsored Extracurricular and Co-Curricular Activities - 500.33-2
- Out-of-district grade kindergarten-10 students may not enroll as part-time students.
- Out-of-district students who are not enrolled in Canyons School District may not participate in co-curricular activities.
- Out-of-district students may only participate in UHSAA activities under the conditions outlined in the rules of the UHSAA.
Enrollment of Out-of-District Grade 11-12 Students as Part-Time Students and/or Their Participation in Canyons School District Sponsored Extracurricular and Co-Curricular Activities - 500.33-3
- Part-time enrollment of out-of-district grade 11-12 students is limited to enrollment of WFC students in Canyons Technical Education Center courses. Out-of-district Consortium students may enroll in CTEC courses under the following conditions:
- The student is an eleventh- or twelfth-grade student.
- The student meets Canyons School District established prerequisites, if applicable.
- The program has space available with enrollment preference given to students in the following order:
- Canyons School District students,
- WFC district students.
- The student is enrolled prior to the deadline for enrollment set by CTEC.
- The student pays all appropriate and applicable student fees as outlined in Canyons School District’s Student Fee Schedule upon registration.
- A Consortium student accepted into a two-year CTEC program as an eleventh-grade student may continue enrollment in that program the following year; however, if the student desires to change programs, he/she will be subject to enrollment process outlined above.
- Participation in School Activities by Out-of-District Students
- Out-of-district CTEC students may participate in all CTEC-sponsored student activities.
- Out-of-district students who are not enrolled in Canyons School District may not participate in Canyons School District co-curricular activities. Participation of out-of-district CTEC students in co-curricular activities is limited to those sponsored by CTEC.
- Out-of-district students, including CTEC students, may only participate in UHSAA activities in Canyons School District under the conditions outlined in the rules of the UHSAA.
Adopted – 8.7.2007.
This online presentation is an electronic representation of the Canyons School District’s currently adopted policy manual. It does not reflect updating activities in progress. The official, authoritative manual is available for inspection in the office of the Superintendent located at 9361 South 300 East Sandy, UT 84070.