Canyons District's COVID-19 Action Plan, Updates | Read More >

School Choice: Open Enrollment Starts Dec. 1

  • Post category:General News
  • Post last modified:November 17, 2017

Under Utah law, students who wish to attend a school other than their neighborhood school–the one assigned to them by geographic boundaries–may apply for a transfer by submitting an Open Enrollment request.

In Canyons District, families are able to submit these forms online from the comfort of their home or office using our Online Permit Portal. For the 2018-2019 school year, the window for applying for the school-choice permits opens at 10 am. on Friday, Dec. 1 and closes at the end of business on Friday, Feb. 16. 

School transfers are approved when space is available and on a first-come, first-served basis. Paper permits are no longer available.

Once a school administrator approves a transfer permit, the permit will renew automatically every year thereafter as long as the student remains at the same school and their permit is not revoked. Permits must be renewed when a student advances from elementary to middle school or from middle school to high school.

To guide families through the process, the Department of Planning and Enrollment has created tutorials in English, Spanish, and French. Answers to frequently asked questions can be found on the Department’s website. The Main Office at your local school also is a good resource for information.