Canyons District's COVID-19 Action Plan, Updates | Read More >

Deadline Approaches for School Choice Permit Applications

  • Post category:General News
  • Post last modified:January 30, 2017
Time is running out for submitting Early Open Enrollment Applications. Students who want to attend a school other than the one assigned to them by geographic boundaries must submit these applications by Friday, Feb. 17, 2017.

School transfers are approved when space is available and on a first-come, first-served basis.

In Canyons District, there are two open enrollment periods: Early Open Enrollment and Late Open Enrollment. The Early Open Enrollment period is the recommended time to enroll for the next school year. Late Open Enrollment is generally, but not always, for the current school year and may be applied for at any time.

Once a school administrator approves an open-enrollment permit, the permit will renew automatically every year thereafter as long as the student remains at the same school and the permit is not revoked. Permits must be renewed when a student advances from elementary to middle school or from middle school to high school.

Open-enrollment permit requests can be submitted at most CSD schools. The exceptions are Corner Canyon High and Willow Springs Elementary, which have been placed on moratorium status by the Canyons Board of Education. This means students who don’t live within the schools’ boundaries, if they aren’t already enrolled, won’t be allowed to enroll for the coming school year.

Students accepted into magnet programs, such as SALTA for advanced learners and Dual-Language immersion programs, do not need to fill out Open Enrollment permits. But once immersion students reach middle school and high school, permits are required in order to attend an out-of-boundary school. 

More information can be found online. Questions? Please call 801-826-5000.