Parenting doesn’t come with a book of instructions on how to help families deal with challenging issues like autism, ADHD, and divorce but the Canyons Family Center can help.
The Canyons Family Center, 8449 S. 150 West, provides help to parents and families in Canyons District by offering counseling, support groups and education classes. All of the Center’s services are offered at no charge.
Starting in January, the center will launch a six-week series of specialty classes aimed at helping parents and children tackle life’s challenges and relieve stress.
The following specialty classes will take place starting Tuesday, Jan. 19 from 6:30-8:30 p.m.:
- Superheroes children’s group: A class for students in third- through sixth-grades who are diagnosed with high-functioning autism or autism spectrum disorders. Each session provides practice of one social skill through group activities.
- Relax and manage your stress: A class designed to teach specific and helpful strategies to manage stress and practice mindfulness.
- Effective parenting: A class for parents and caregivers, designed to give parents positive parenting strategies that have been proven to be successful.
- Autism Spectrum Disorder parenting supports: This support group will give parents strategies to deal with a child diagnosed with high-functioning autism, Asperger’s syndrome, or pervasive developmental disorder.
The following 6:30-8:30 p.m. specialty classes will take place starting Wednesday, Jan. 20:
- Banana Splits, adivorce class for kids: A class for students in third- through sixth-grades to help aid students in coping with the changes that come from divorce.
- Parenting the ADHD child: A class for families struggling with parenting children with ADHD.
More information on specialty classes, as well as regularly scheduled 3-week classes regarding anger management, truancy and early development, can be found on the Canyons Family Center web page. To register for a class, please call 801-826-8190.