The Canyons Board of Education has selected Corner Canyon High School as the name of the new high school in Draper, scheduled to open in fall 2013.
The decision was made Tuesday, Dec. 6, 2011 at a regularly scheduled Board meeting. The New High School Naming Committee, which reviewed community suggestions for the school’s name, mascot and colors, presented suggestions to the Board.
From Oct. 5 to Nov. 8, 1,016 people who live inside and outside of Canyons District provided their ideas via the District’s Web site. On Nov. 11, the Name the New High School Committee met to examine the public input and draft recommendations.
In winnowing the nominations, the committee believed that the new high school should have a name that considers the area’s history and geography. From the community entries, the following names were forwarded to the Board for consideration:
- Corner Canyon High School: Reminiscent of the geography and beauty of the area, and emphasizes one of the canyons for which the District was named
- Draper High School: Reflects the pride and the name of the city
- Draper Hills High School: Suggests the surrounding area, is not limited to the city, and is an inviting name that welcomes others to join in academic excellence
- Majestic Peaks High School: Symbolic of the majestic Rocky Mountains; suggests high standards and pride
- Sivogah High School: A unique and distinctive name reported to be the Indian word for “willows” and the Draper area
The Board also considered John Park Memorial High School.
Early in the process, Board members reserved the right to name the high school. However, the Board, with an eye toward including students as much as possible, would like the mascot and colors to be selected by popular vote of the student body.
Students will vote on the following mascot names:
- Mountain Lions, Cougars, Diamondbacks, Falcons, Raptors, Broncos, Bears, Cavaliers and Chargers.
The committee also examined community suggestions for the new school’s colors, and presented the following for the Board’s consideration and placement, as directed, on a ballot for students to cast votes:
- Navy, Silver, White: Navy suggests confidence, stability and strength; silver symbolizes calmness and dignity; and white, the color of the glaciers that provide water to the area, symbolizes cleanliness and innocence.
- Gold, Navy, White: Gold suggests high achievement; navy suggests confidence, stability and strength; and white, the color of the glaciers that provide water to the area, symbolizes cleanliness and innocence.
- Navy, crimson, silver: Navy suggests confidence, stability and strength; crimson symbolizes passion, energy, and power; and silver symbolizes calmness and dignity.