GCJB; GCJAA; GDIAA
- The Board of Education recognizes that when an employee’s performance is substandard and/or their conduct is unprofessional and unbecoming of a Canyons School District employee it may be prudent to place them on probation in an attempt to remediate. Employees, as described herein, refer to benefit-eligible employees of Canyons School District.
- The Board authorizes the Superintendent and District Administration to develop administrative regulations consistent with this policy, subject to review and approval by the Board.
Probation - 400.40-1
- Employees may be placed on probation at the recommendation of their immediate supervisor and approval from the Director of Human Resources.
- During a meeting held with the employee’s supervisor, or designee, the employee is notified in writing of the reason(s) for recommendation of probation.
- The employee, if they so choose, may respond to their supervisor in writing, regarding the recommendation of probation letter, within five (5) business days.
- At least twenty-four (24) hours prior to the meeting, the employee will be notified of his/her right to non-legal representation, (e.g., an employee agent representative, etc.), if the employee so chooses.
- Following the meeting, a copy of the signed probation recommendation letter will be provided to the employee, a copy kept with the supervisor, and the original sent to the Director of Human Resources.
- The Director of Human Resources, upon receiving the probation recommendation letter and other supportive documentation, shall determine whether or not to approve the recommendation.
- The employee and supervisor will be notified of the Director of Human Resource’s determination in writing; a copy will be provided to the employee, a copy provided to the supervisor, and a copy placed in the employee’s personnel file in the Human Resources Department.
- The District is solely responsible for determining the reasonable length and terms of probation except under the provisions of district employee evaluation policies.
- When an employee’s performance has sufficiently improved and/or the employee has met the conditions of probation, the employee’s supervisor shall recommend to the Director of Human Resources that the employee be removed from probation and career status be reinstated, if applicable.
- The Director of Human Resources, upon receiving the recommendation that the employee be removed from probation and career status be reinstated, if applicable, shall determine whether to approve the recommendation.
- The employee and supervisor are then notified of the determination in writing; a copy provided to the employee, a copy provided to the supervisor, and a copy placed in the employee’s personnel file in the Human Resources Department.
- When an employee’s performance has not sufficiently improved and/or the employee has not met the conditions of probation within the established time limits, the employee may be terminated in accordance with district policy and state law.
- Employees on probation are not eligible for employee-requested transfers to another job assignment and/or promotion.
- U.C.A. §53G-11-501, et seq.
This online presentation is an electronic representation of the Canyons School District’s currently adopted policy manual. It does not reflect updating activities in progress. The official, authoritative manual is available for inspection in the office of the Superintendent located at 9361 South 300 East Sandy, UT 84070.