- The Board of Education is committed to providing all nursing mothers reasonable accommodations and protection from discrimination in accordance with state law.
- The Board of Education recognizes the need to support breastfeeding and accommodate employees who breastfeed or express milk in the workplace in accordance with state law.
- The Board authorizes the Superintendent and District Administration to establish administrative regulations consistent with this policy, subject to review and approval by the Board.
One Year After Birth Accommodation; Employee Breaks - 400.09-1
- For a period of at least one year after the birth of a child, the District will reasonably accommodate an employee’s request to provide breaks for each time the employee needs to breast feed or express milk.
- The employee will consult with their immediate supervisor or the human resources department to determine the frequency and duration of breaks. These breaks shall coincide, to the extent possible, with any other breaks already provided to the employee.
Room or Other Location; Access to Clean and Well-maintained Refrigerator or Freezer - 400.09-2
- The District will provide a room or other location for the employee to breastfeed or express milk. This room shall
- Not be a bathroom or bathroom stall;
- Be maintained in a clean and sanitary condition;
- Provide privacy shielded from the view of or intrusion of coworkers or the public;
- Be available at the times and for a duration required by the employee as determined in the consultation with the employee’s supervisor and the human resources department; and
- Have an electrical outlet.
- If an employee desires to breastfeed or express milk in an alternative location, this request should be addressed in consultation with the employee’s supervisor.
- The District will provide access to a clean and well-maintained refrigerator or freezer for the temporary storage of the employee’s breast milk.
This online presentation is an electronic representation of the Canyons School District’s currently adopted policy manual. It does not reflect updating activities in progress. The official, authoritative manual is available for inspection in the office of the Superintendent located at 9361 South 300 East Sandy, UT 84070.