Dual Language Immersion
The Dual Language Immersion (DLI) program is designed to build academic fluency in both English and a second language. Students have the opportunity to develop their listening, speaking, reading, and writing skills in TWO languages.
The program has three goals:
- Bilingualism: High levels of proficiency in English and in a second language (Chinese, French, Spanish)
- Biliteracy: High levels of academic achievement in English and in Chinese, French or Spanish in all content areas
- Multicultural Competence: Understanding different cultures and development of high esteem
Dual Language Immersion Index
Curriculum Maps & Standards
Canyons School District’s curriculum maps are standards-based maps driven by the Utah
World Language Core Standards for Proficiency and the Proficiency Guidelines as defined in the 2012 American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL).
The standards provide a clear description of what can be done with language at various levels in speaking, writing, listening, and reading.
The three proficiency levels used in the maps are: Novice, Intermediate, and Advanced subdivided into low, mid, and high sublevels.
The Utah Core strands of Reading, Writing, Speaking, and Listening are integrated in the standards for learning languages’ goal area of Communication and Cultures:
- Interpersonal (speaking and listening or writing and reading)
- Interpretive (reading, listening, and viewing)
- Presentational (writing, speaking)
- Intercultural competencies (products, practices, and perspectives)
(USBE World Language Standards)
Dual Language Immersion is a state program and the curriculum is chosen and purchased by the Utah State Board of Education.
AUDII – The Annual Utah Dual Immersion Institute is a professional development opportunity that takes place the first week of August every year.
This is a great opportunity for 1st and 2nd year DLI teachers to come together from around the world to collaborate around best practices in Dual Language Immersion.
For ongoing professional development opportunities throughout the year, please visit the Utah Dual Immersion Program website.
See “Adopted Curriculum”
Spanish State DLI Director
Secondary Dual Language Immersion and World Language Specialist- French
Secondary Specialist – Spanish
Elementary Specialist -French
State Elementary coordinator and Elementary Specialist – Spanish
State Elementary coordinator and Elementary Specialist – Chinese