- The Board accepts, as a basic responsibility, protecting the health of school children and providing a program of health education that promotes good health habits and concepts through health and nursing services.
- The Board authorizes the Superintendent and District Administration to develop administrative regulations consistent with this policy.
District Nurses - 500.41-1
- The Administration shall develop and organize a program of nursing services that will:
- Support student’s success by identifying and providing appropriate intervention and follow-up of identified health conditions.
- Enhance the educational process of students by promoting their health and well being and modifying or removing health related barriers to learning.
- Assist students and staff in achieving optimal levels of wellness.
Services to General Education - 500.41-2
- The district nurse shall:
- Provide professional advice and support to school staff responsible for children with acute and chronic health conditions.
- Respond to local school health related emergencies
- Provide in-service to school staff and volunteers in the following health related areas:
- CPR, AED &First Aid
- Medication Administration
- Immunization and Record keeping requirements
- Vision Screening
- Head Lice
- Coordinate communicable disease control by:
- Conducting epidemiological investigations for identification of contacts and source cases
- Providing instructions to staff for treatment
- Making referrals to appropriate health care providers
- Making recommendation for student exclusion
- Participating in appropriate, necessary follow-up activities
- Determine tasks that may be appropriately delegated to licensed or unlicensed staff, on a student-by-student basis, and provide appropriate training, documentation and monitoring.
- Coordinate a vision screening program.
- Coordinate and conduct education programs for the use of emergency medications.
- Designated school personnel will assume responsibility for maintenance of immunization levels of the student body. A district nurse will act as an adviser to the schools and submit required state immunization reports.
Services to Jordan Valley School - 500.41-3
- The nurse(s) will provide the following nursing services:
- Provide direct nursing care
- Assess maladaptive responses to health problems
- Conduct physical assessment of high risk or referred students
- Develop and update health care plans
- Provide health counseling and instruction to students and staff
- Participate in developing health component of students’ IEP
- Make referrals to appropriate health care providers
- Administer daily medications at Jordan Valley
This online presentation is an electronic representation of the Canyons School District’s currently adopted policy manual. It does not reflect updating activities in progress. The official, authoritative manual is available for inspection in the office of the Superintendent located at 9361 South 300 East Sandy, UT 84070.