- The Board of Education is committed to providing a safe and orderly environment for all students that engenders respect, civility, and dignity. Reporting student safety is an essential component of a safe and orderly school environment. The purpose of this policy is to establish and authorize student safety notifications to administration, staff, and parents in accordance with state law.
- The Board authorizes the Superintendent and the District Administration to establish administrative regulations consistent with this policy.
Notification - 500.5-1
- The Office of the Superintendent authorizes the District Administration to adopt procedures for notification and reporting student safety.
- A school shall notify a parent/guardian:
- If a student threatens to commit suicide; or
- If a student is involved in an incident of bullying, cyber-bullying, hazing, or retaliation, of the incident involving each parent’s student. (See, Policy—500.2).
- If a school notifies a parent of an incident or threat, the school shall maintain a record that verifies that the parent was notified of the incident or threat.
Procedures for Notification - 500.5-2
A record is required to be maintained securely and confidentially by the school, consistent with Utah Code §53G-9-604, following parent notification of a student suicide threat, or following notification of the parents of each student (victim and perpetrator) involved in an incident of bullying, cyber-bullying, harassment, hazing, abusive conduct, or retaliation against a student involved in any of the above. (See, Exhibit—1).
Management of Notification Records - 500.5-3
- A school may disclose a record listed in 500.5-1 (3) including any information to prepare the record, to the parent or the parent’s student; or to a person if required to disclose the record or information to a person pursuant to a court order.
- A school may not disclose a record listed in 500.5-1 (3), including any information to prepare the record, to a person other than: (1) to the parent or parent’s student; or (2) to a person pursuant to a court order as defined in state law.
- A school may not use a record listed in 500.5-1 (3), including any information obtained to prepare the record, for the school’s own purposes, including the following purposes: for a report or study; for a statistical analysis; or to conduct research.
- 500.5-2—Exhibit—1: Record of Parent Notification of Student Threat or Incident
- Utah Code §53G-9-604
This online presentation is an electronic representation of the Canyons School District’s currently adopted policy manual. It does not reflect updating activities in progress. The official, authoritative manual is available for inspection in the office of the Superintendent located at 9361 South 300 East Sandy, UT 84070.