- The Board of Education ensures that all students with disabilities, ages three through 21 who have not graduated from high school with a regular high school diploma, have available to them a free appropriate public education with special education and related services designed to meet their unique needs as specified on an Individualized Education Program (IEP). The Board aims to provide quality educational opportunities to all students with disabilities that will prepare them for further education, employment, and independent living.
- In accordance with state and federal law, the District identifies students in need of special education and related services through a process of referral, evaluation, and determination of eligibility by a group of qualified professionals and the parent of the student or the adult student. Services are identified through the development of an individualized education program with placement along a continuum in accordance with the Least Restrictive Environment (LRE) requirement. Reevaluation occurs at least once every three years. Throughout this process the Board shall ensure that the rights of students with disabilities and their parents are protected.
- The Board authorizes the Superintendent and District Administration to develop administrative regulations consistent with this policy, subject to review and approval by the Board.
Special Education Rules and Policies - 500.11-1
- The Superintendent or designee is delegated responsibility for development of District procedures consistent with the Utah State Board of Education (USBE) “Special Education Rules” to identify, evaluate, and provide appropriate educational services in accordance with applicable state and federal laws, and regulations.
- The Special Education Rules will be available in the Special Education’s Department’s section of the District’s website.
This online presentation is an electronic representation of the Canyons School District’s currently adopted policy manual. It does not reflect updating activities in progress. The official, authoritative manual is available for inspection in the office of the Superintendent located at 9361 South 300 East Sandy, UT 84070.