- The Board of Education allows secondary students to be released from public school during the regular school day for the purpose of attending released-time classes in accordance with provisions outlined in Utah State Board Rule (See R277-610).
- The Board of Education allows secondary student to be released from public schools during the regular school days for the purpose of attending released-time classes, in religious instruction given by a legally organized church. The Board holds that this policy does not violate the Constitutional requirement for separation of church and state so long as the school system and the particular church providing the religious instruction during the released time remain separate and neither institution invades the domain of the other. Released time for religious instruction is not to be confined to any one religion.
- The Board delegates to the District Administration responsibility for implementing this policy in compliance with Utah law and in accordance with State and District regulations, subject to review and approval by the Board.
Definitions - 500.10-1
- “Released-time”: means a period of time during the regular school day when a student attending a public school is excused from the school, at the request of the student’s parent.
Released-Time Class Conditions - 500.10-2
- Students may attend released-time classes during the regular school day only upon the written request of the student’s parent or legal guardian.
- A public school shall not maintain records of attendance for released-time classes or use school personnel or school resources to regulate such attendance.
- Teachers of released-time classes are not members of the public school faculty. Released-time teachers may participate in school activities as community members.
- Public school teachers, administrators, or other officials shall not request teachers of released-time classes to exercise functions or assume responsibilities for the public school program which would result in a commingling of the activities of the two institutions.
- Public school class schedules and course catalogs shall not include released-time classes by name. At the convenience of the school, registration forms may contain a space for released-time designation.
- Public school publications shall not include pictures, reports, or records of released-time classes.
- Public school personnel shall not participate in released-time classes. Released-time classes shall not use school resources or equipment.
Released-Time Classes for Religious Instruction - 500.10-3
The Administration directs the School Performance Directors to work with secondary school principals to implement a program which honors parental requests for student released-time for religious instruction during the school day according to the following regulations:
- The provisions of Admin Reg-500.10-2 above apply release-time for religious instruction.
- Released time is limited to one (1) class period per day.
- Released time instruction must be provided by a qualified instructor who represents a legally organized church.
- Released-time is not to be granted during times when it interferes with completion of the student’s regular course of study or with classes required for graduation.
- School credit will not be awarded for released-time classes.
- School personnel shall not monitor attendance, maintain records, or perform any other work related to released-time classes.
- Records of released-time class attendance, released-time grades, marks or other released-time information are not to be included on the student’s school report card or other school records.
- Religious classes shall not be held in school buildings or on school property in any way that permits public money or property to be applied to, or that requires public employees to become entangled with, any religious worship, exercise, or instruction.
- Utah Admin. Code R277-610. Released-Time Classes and Public Schools.
Revised – 3.27.2018. Policy – 500.10 – Released-time Classes and Public Schools (Religious School) was revised to update the legal reference for released-time, as a “period of time during the regular school day when a student attending a public school is excused from the school, at the request of parent” consistent with state law. See, Utah Admin. Code, R277-610, Released-Time Classes and Public Schools. The remainder of the policy outlines released-time class conditions, and released-time classes for religious instruction.
Adopted – 12.13.1988
This online presentation is an electronic representation of the Canyons School District’s currently adopted policy manual. It does not reflect updating activities in progress. The official, authoritative manual is available for inspection in the office of the Superintendent located at 9361 South 300 East Sandy, UT 84070.