- The Board recognizes that all Canyons employees serve the public through their employment with the District. Opportunities may arise for District employees to be elected or appointed to public office, either in local or state government or other school district’s boards of education.
- The Board authorizes the District Administration to develop regulations to assist District employees to perform their elected duties, subject to review and approval by the Board.
Employees in Public Office - 400.27-1
- The Administration will endeavor to assist employees in their efforts to render public service, recognizing that employees need to provide adequate service to the District for compensation they receive.
- Employees who are eligible for vacation or personal leave will be required to use those times first to render service in their elected or appointed office. Additional non-paid public service leave must be approved by Human Resources.
Legislative Leave - 400.27-2
Definition: “Legislative Leave”: A period of leave, 45 days or less, granted by the District to an employee elected as a representative for the Utah State Legislature.
Legislative Leave shall be administered as follows:
- An employee elected as a representative to the Utah State Legislature may apply for Legislative Leave.
- The employee must apply to Human Resources and receive approval from the Superintendent for Legislative Leave.
- The District, for Legislative Leave of 45 days or less, shall pay the difference between the employee’s regular salary and the amount he/she is paid during the Legislative Leave if the pay is less than their contract amount, i.e., any amount paid to the employee for service while on Legislative Leave will be deducted from the employee’s regular pay.
- The District will maintain the employee’s insurance coverage for an employee on Legislative Leave.
This online presentation is an electronic representation of the Canyons School District’s currently adopted policy manual. It does not reflect updating activities in progress. The official, authoritative manual is available for inspection in the office of the Superintendent located at 9361 South 300 East Sandy, UT 84070.