- A kindergarten program shall be maintained as a regular part of the elementary instructional program offered to the children living in the District.
- Eligible children shall be five (5) years of age on or before September 1 of any particular school year.
- A birth certificate issued by the Bureau of Vital Statistics shall be required of all children at the time of their entrance into kindergarten. Exceptions, if any, must be approved by the director of Planning and Enrollment.
- The Board authorizes the Superintendent and District Administration to establish administrative regulations consistent with this policy.
Kindergarten Program - 600.7-1
The Administration, working with principals and teachers, will provide a kindergarten program designed to maximize the opportunities for early learning in the school setting.
- The kindergarten program shall provide an environment in which each child may develop the following:
- A clarification of his/her role in the school setting, including working relationships with other children and adults.
- A greater ability and desire to recognize, analyze, and think through problems, integrating these abilities in the problem solving behavior.
- Increased feelings of security and self-worth through recognized successes.
- A strategy for learning which encourages the child to become increasingly independent of the teacher in achieving academically and intellectually.
- A foundation for basic academic instruction, including an appreciation of how reading and other academic skills will be useful to him/her in all of his/her accomplishments and experiences.
Achievement of Purposes - 600.7-2
The fulfillment of the above purposes shall be attempted through a variety of means, the success of which shall depend partially upon the past experience and achievement of the participating children. The District shall meet its responsibility in the following ways:
- Kindergarten teachers employed in the District shall hold the State Kindergarten Proficiency Certificate, and, insofar as possible, shall have received that Certificate as a result of completing a teacher training period in the kindergarten and of taking course work in kindergarten methodology rather than as a result of having passed the State Kindergarten Examination.
- A continuous inservice program shall be provided by the Instructional Supports Department to help principals and teachers to upgrade and equalize the opportunity for kindergarten education in the District.
- Under the direction of the Director(s) of the Instructional Supports Department, with the assistance of committees, consultants who are experts in early childhood education, and others whose services might be needed, District guides which illustrate specific ways of implementing the state kindergarten guides shall be developed and continuously improved.
This online presentation is an electronic representation of the Canyons School District’s currently adopted policy manual. It does not reflect updating activities in progress. The official, authoritative manual is available for inspection in the office of the Superintendent located at 9361 South 300 East Sandy, UT 84070.