Guidelines for Board Members:
The Canyons Board of Education recognizes student education and welfare as its top priority and that it should be central to all decisions and actions of the Board. Board members recognize that adhering to the following guidelines will increase effectiveness in fulfilling that responsibility.
- Understand that individual Board members have no authority and that the Board only has authority when voting to take official action at a duly scheduled meeting of the Board.
- Attend Board meetings insofar as possible being informed and prepared to discuss items on the agenda.
- Work to be an effective leader in education by participating in professional development, studying education issues, fulfilling assigned duties, and advocating for public education.
- Foster respectful working relationships between Board members and with the superintendent and staff, recognizing differences of perspective and style as beneficial to the work of the Board, working towards consensus, and supporting the decisions of the Board.
- Represent the Board with dignity and integrity, avoiding conflicts of interest or using Board position for gain of self or others (Utah Code Title 67 Chapter 16), respecting the confidentiality of information that is protected by law, and abiding by Board governance policies and procedures.
- Focus Board efforts on strategic policy and governance rather than operational tasks, refraining from performing management functions that are the duty of the Superintendent and the administration.
- Ensure that material complaints are brought to the attention of the Superintendent and other Board members in a timely manner.
- Reach out to the school community by developing relationships with community organizations and leaders, communicating with constituents, staff, students and all elements of the community; seeking systematic communication to bring community input to the Board.
In order to maximize their effectiveness and to build and maintain public confidence in District governance, Board members are committed to faithful compliance with these guidelines.
This online presentation is an electronic representation of the Canyons School District’s currently adopted policy manual. It does not reflect updating activities in progress. The official, authoritative manual is available for inspection in the office of the Superintendent located at 9361 South 300 East Sandy, UT 84070.