Guidelines for Short-Term Cultural Foreign Student Visitors
Notice: Canyons School District does not endorse, support, or advertise for Short-Term Cultural Foreign Student Visitors. It is the sole responsibility of the requesting agency or visiting student to find hosts or living accommodations. A requesting agency may contact the Canyons Education Foundation for more information regarding the rules and guidelines of e-flyers (available at https://foundation.canyonsdistrict.org).
The following are the requirements for a requesting agency to place Short-Term Cultural Foreign Student Visitors in Canyons School District.
- An agency requesting to place Short-Term Cultural Foreign Student Visitors must submit an application and receive approval by the Director of Planning and Enrollment. Please refer to Floyd Stensrud
email@example.com, or 801-826-5181 for final application approval.
- Applications or requests must first be submitted to the local high school principal for initial review.
- The High School Principal may choose to not accept Short-Term Cultural Foreign Student Visitors.
- Requesting agencies must provide proof that all Cultural Foreign Student Visitors have been sponsored and properly screened by an agency approved by the Director of Planning and Enrollment.
- Short-Term Foreign Visitors may be permitted to visit schools only when their native language of their country of origin is associated with an academic subject offered at the school, i.e., the Dual Language Immersion program.
- All Short-Term Foreign Student Visitors must have the following documents included in the application by the agency approved by the Director of Planning and Enrollment:
- Agencies must provide itinerary including proof that all Short-Term Cultural Foreign Student Visitors have been properly screened and interviewed by their educational institutions, the hosting agency, and the chaperones.
- Hosting agencies will provide the Director of Planning and Enrollment and building Principal a current Itinerary for each Foreign Visitor, a current list of all Foreign Visitors, host families, chaperones, and shadow students with current contact information including phone numbers, addresses, and email contact information of all host families and chaperones.
- Foreign Visitors will attend only one school during the short-term visit
- Proof of Insurance must be provided to the Director of Planning and Enrollment
- Recommendations from teacher(s) or Principal; hosting agency
- Health records/ Immunization; and copy of completed agency itinerary information, related to arrival,
planned activities, and departure date.
- Student must provide proof of negative Tuberculin (TB) skin test taken within 6 months of visit. Those not meeting this expectation will be referred back to the sponsoring agency or individual to return
- The short-term Cultural Foreign Visitor’s primary purpose of school enrollment is to improve the Foreign Student Visitors knowledge of American Culture and language through active participation in family, school, and community life.
- Foreign Visitors will not be allowed admittance if they have graduated in their home country.
The Director of Planning and Enrollment may only consider Short-Term Cultural Foreign Student Visitor applications upon the agency completing the application process and providing appropriate and sufficient records and documentation that the agency has and will continue to comply with all state laws and district policies regarding the acceptance of Short-Term Cultural Foreign Student Visitors.
This online presentation is an electronic representation of the Canyons School District’s currently adopted policy manual. It does not reflect updating activities in progress. The official, authoritative manual is available for inspection in the office of the Superintendent located at 9361 South 300 East Sandy, UT 84070.