ASSOCIATED ADMINISTRATIVE REGULATION:
CSD-STANDARDS FOR VIDEO USE GUIDELINES
- Rating Guidelines:
- Elementary schools may use only video with a Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA) rating of G and a TV-Y and TV-Y7. PG rated video may be used only for after-school activities and as school-wide reward nights after obtaining written, parent permission.
- Middle schools may use only video with MPAA ratings of G and TV-Y and TV-Y7. PG rated video may only be used after obtaining written, parent permission.
- High schools may use only Video with MPAA and TV ratings of G and PG. video rated PG -13 or TV rating of TV-14 may be used only with written, parent permission.
- Video with MPAA ratings of R and/or NC-17 or a TV rating of TV-MA may not be used.
- Video may be used for instructional purposes in the classroom consistent with curriculum, content, and appropriateness for student use. Video may only be used for entertainment purposes upon approval of the principal.
- All video must be used according to Fair Use Guidelines for direct instruction in the classroom but not for reward or entertainment.
- All video must be previewed for applicability and appropriateness by the classroom teacher or media specialist prior to use in the classroom.
- The principal and the licensed school library media specialist of each school must approve all video purchased by the school.
- Any Canyons employee desiring to use video in situations not approved under Fair Use Guidelines (any type of public viewing, reward, or entertainment) must obtain a public performance site license for the individual school.
- Using video for reward or entertainment without a public performance license
- Using video for public viewing outside of instructional time without a public performance license.
- Using video that has not been previewed for applicability and appropriateness.
- Using personally owned or borrowed video without preview by the teacher.
- Using video that violates the ratings guidelines in this policy.
This online presentation is an electronic representation of the Canyons School District’s currently adopted policy manual. It does not reflect updating activities in progress. The official, authoritative manual is available for inspection in the office of the Superintendent located at 9361 South 300 East Sandy, UT 84070.