The McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act (Title X, Part C) supports students who may be experiencing homelessness as a result of economic hardship, foreclosure, severe medical bills, natural disaster, domestic violence or abuse. The law requires students to be immediately enrolled and for all barriers to full participation in the educational program to be removed.
Schools provide safety, stability and hope for the future through education. To support students’ regular attendance in school, funds may be used to provide assistance with clothing, transportation, health needs, and efforts to secure birth certificates, immunization and academic records, tutoring to earn or reclaim credit, free lunch, and fee waivers. The Homeless Liaison works closely with other community agencies to support students.
Who is homeless? (Sec. 725)
The term “homeless children and youth”—
- means individuals who lack a fixed, regular, and adequate nighttime residence …; and
- children and youths who are sharing the housing of other persons due to loss of housing, economic hardship, or a similar reason; are living in motels, hotels, trailer parks, or camping grounds due to the lack of alternative accommodations; are living in emergency or transitional shelters; are abandoned in hospitals; or are awaiting foster care placement;
- children and youths who have a primary nighttime residence that is a public or private place not designed for or ordinarily used as a regular sleeping accommodation for human beings …
- children and youths who are living in cars, parks, public spaces, abandoned buildings, substandard housing, bus or train stations, or similar settings; and
- migratory children who qualify as homeless for the purposes of this subtitle because the children are living in circumstances described in clauses (i) through (iii).
|Change of Status Homeless Form||289.63 KB||487||04-30-2020||DownloadPreview|
|McKinney-Vento Complaint Form||101.95 KB||448||04-30-2020||DownloadPreview|
|McKinney-Vento Complaint Resolution Procedure||585.20 KB||489||04-30-2020||DownloadPreview|
|McKinney-Vento Frequently Asked Questions||760.95 KB||454||04-30-2020||DownloadPreview|
|Parent Brochure - English||347.02 KB||453||04-30-2020||DownloadPreview|
|Parent Brochure - Spanish||1.67 MB||454||04-30-2020||DownloadPreview|
|Student Housing Questionnaire - English||581.21 KB||535||05-18-2020||DownloadPreview|
|Student Housing Questionnaire - Spanish||306.10 KB||478||09-20-2020||DownloadPreview|