The World Language Department provides students of American Sign Language, French, Chinese, German, and Spanish the opportunity to develop language and cultural awareness in the target language.
The goal of studying a world language is to prepare students to understand and to interact with people from diverse cultures. World language teachers will model the target language and students will have ample opportunities to use the target language as the major means of communication.
SEAL of BILITERACY:
- The Seal of Biliteracy is an award issued by a state department of education or localdistrict to recognize a student who has attained proficiency in English and one or moreother World Languages. Students need to achieve an Intermediate-Mid proficiency level by high school graduation. (Student’s application due January- Testing March- TBD every year ) ( Juniors and Seniors can apply- please ask details in the counseling department- attn: the Diploma Specialist)
Curriculum Maps & Standards
Canyons School District’s curriculum maps are standards-based maps driven by the Utah
World Language Core Standards for Proficiency and the Proficiency Guidelines as defined in the 2012 American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL).
The standards provide a clear description of what can be done with language at various levels in speaking, writing, listening, and reading.
The three proficiency levels used in the maps are: Novice, Intermediate, and Advanced subdivided into low, mid, and high sublevels.
The Utah Core strands of Reading, Writing, Speaking, and Listening are integrated in the standards for learning languages’ goal area of Communication and Cultures:
- Interpersonal (speaking and listening or writing and reading)
- Interpretive (reading, listening, and viewing)
- Presentational (writing, speaking)
- Intercultural competencies (products, practices, and perspectives)
(USBE World Language Standards)
World Language Index
World Language Spring AAPPL testing: sample testing of level 2 and level 3 (Chinese, French,
German and Spanish)
When: Every year in Spring (April -TBD)
What: Sections: ILS (Interpretive Listening and Speaking) and PW (Presentational Writing)
(TBD every year) (Novice to Intermediate) (please note no AAPPL ASL testing)
When: Every year in May (TBD by College Board)