This department, which is a part of the Accounting, Auditing and Budget Services,
ensures that Canyons District employees are paid in a timely and accurate manner.

Upcoming pay days are September 28, October 15 and October 31

Payroll - When Do I Get Paid?

Scheduled Paydays for 2017-2018:

July 13th, 2018
July 31st, 2018
August 15th, 2018
August 31st, 2018
September 14th, 2018
September 28th, 2018
October 15th, 2018
October 31st, 2018
November 15th, 2018
November 30th, 2018
December 14th, 2018
December 31st, 2018
January 15th, 2019
January 31st, 2019
February 15th, 2019
February 28th, 2019
March 15th, 2019
March 29th, 2019
April 15th, 2019
April 30th, 2019
May 15th, 2019
May 31st, 2019
June 14th, 2019
June 28th, 2019

True Time/Hourly Pay Dates:

Semi Monthly Pay Schedule for True Time 2018-2019

Attendance Incentive


Tax Changes (W-4)

Each employee must complete a W-4 Employee’s Withholding Allowance Certificate. This form tells an employer the marital status, number of withholding allowances and any additional amount to use when deducting federal income tax from the employee’s pay. If an employee fails to complete a W-4, the employer must withhold federal income taxes from his or her wages at the highest rate; as if he or she were single and claiming no withholding allowances.  All information must be received by payroll by the 10th of the month to be in effect by the 25th of the month, (payday).
  • Where can I find a W-4 form? Download the pdfW-4_2017.pdf
  • How can I change the amount of taxes withheld from my check? Fill out a new W-4 and submit to the payroll office by the 10th of the month to be in effect by the 25th of the month, (payday).
  • Can someone help me fill out my W-4? We cannot advise you on tax matters or instruct you on filling out the form. Please refer to the Internal Revenue Service ( Tax Tables  or to the Utah State Tax Commission ( or consult a tax professional.   

Year-end Tax (W-2)

A W-2 form shows the amount of taxes withheld from your paycheck for the year and is used to file your federal and state taxes. We strongly encourage all employees to print their own W-2 forms using Skyward Employee Access
  • When will I get my W-2? W-2 forms will be available the last working day of January.
  • How do I print out my W-2? You can print your W-2 by using Skyward Employee Access. CLICK HERE for more information
  • What if I still want my W-2 printed and mailed to me? If you do not designate a preference on Skyward Employee Access, the W-2 will be mailed to you. Be sure the Human Resources department has your current address information.
  • How do I choose to receive my W-2 electronically?  You can choose to print your W-2 electronically by using Skyward Employee Access.  CLICK HERE for more information. 

Skyward/True Time

All hourly employees use Skyward/True Time to enter hours for payment of work provided. 

  • Log into Skyward Employee Access        (User name and Password-do not share with anyone.)

                    *  For Login or computer issues (Login won’t work, etc), call the IT Helpdesk 801-826-5544           

                    *  For Payroll issues (timesheet problems, etc), call Payroll 801-826-5595

  • Submit your Time Sheet weekly.   After you clock out on Friday, click on the “View/Submit” button and submit your timesheet.  If you don’t work on Friday, submit on the last day of the week that you work.  If the month ends in the middle of the week, DO NOT submit your timesheet until Friday, regardless of the day.  You WILL NOT be able to clock in the rest of the week if you submit your timesheet before Friday. 
  • Approvers must approve timesheets weekly.   If your timesheets are not submitted and approved by the time we run Payroll, you WILL NOT be paid until the following month.  We DO NOT contact you concerning unsubmitted or unapproved timesheets.

If you would like a step by step booklet on how to use the Skyward/True Time website CLICK HERE

If you would like a cheat sheet on how to use the Skyward/True Time website CLICK HERE

Paper Timesheets

How do I fill out a timesheet? pdfPaper Timesheet Guidelines

When are timesheets due? Timesheets should be filled out and handed in to your school or department secretary on the last working day of the month

What is my hourly rate? This information is available via Skyward Employee Access.  For instructions CLICK HERE

Which timesheet should I use? Please see information below...


ESP Contracted Employee (Administrative Assistants, Custudial Staff or Nutrition) 

  • If I am a contracted worker and I have extra hours to be paid (Under 40 hours)? Download  xlsxCanyons Timesheet
  • If I am a contracted worker and I have extra hours to be paid overtime (Over 40 hours)? Download  xlsxOvertime Timesheet

Licensed Contracted Employees and Coaches 

  • If I'm a teacher and I'm going to extra classes, seminars and workshops? Download  xlsStipend Timesheet
  • If I'm helping with high school after-hour activities? Download pdfHigh School After-Hour Activities
  • If I'm a coach?
  • Download xlsStipend Timesheet
  • Contact This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. in Human Resources

Direct Deposit

District policy requires that all employees have their checks direct deposited. The employee may use the bank or credit union of their choice. We need the correct routing number and account number either from a check or a printout from the financial institution.  All information must be received by payroll by the 10th of the month to be in effect by the 25th of the same month, (payday).
  • What if I don’t have a bank account? Jordan Credit Union will open a new account for any district employees
  • How do I find the direct deposit form? pdfDirect_Deposit_Authorization_Form_2016.pdf
  • What if I want to deposit money into different accounts? You may designate up to two accounts. The secondary must be an exact dollar amount, for instance, a car payment, etc.
  • I’ve changed banks. How do I update my information with the district? All changes must be submitted to the payroll office by the 10th of the month to be effective by the 25th of the same month. Fill out a new  pdfDirect_Deposit_Form
  • What if my account has been compromised three days before payday? Come into the Payroll office immediately and we will delete your direct deposite information and issue you a check on payday.

Time Off

Personal Days
  • You can only use 5 per year
  • If you use a Personal Day one of the first 5 days of the school year (it Will Be docked as a no-pay day-See Policy)
  • If you use a Personal Day one of the last 5 days of the school year (it Will Be docked as a no-pay day-See Policy)
  • Before and after a holiday

                     *  Any days used before or after a holiday without the Holiday Option Lottery or an excused event (wedding, graduation) will be docked at the cost of a long term sub (Certified $103) or 40% of your daily rate (Classified).
                     *  HR manages the Holiday Option Lottery (see HR website for form).  They will notify you if you are able to use your personal day before/after a holiday.

Alternative Days will be charged:

  • Certified: Cost of a long-term sub ($103)
  • Classified: 40% of your daily rate

Family Sick and Sick days

Summer 10-hour days (when applicable)

  • All summer days off need to be entered as 1.25 days

If you do not have a "Time Off" button and you need one, contact HR 801-826-5500

For Step By Step Instructions on Entering Time Off- CLICK HERE

Skyward Employee Access Information

Skyward Employee Access is available to all employees. You’ll find your personal information, copies of paycheck stubs (earning statements), W-2 information, hourly rate and contract information (if applicable). If you’re a contracted worker, you’ll also use Employee Access to request time off. 

If you have forgotten or need help with your user name and password contact the IT Help Desk 801-826-5544
  • How do I print my paycheck stubs? 
  • Can you mail or fax me my paycheck stub?  
  • What is my hourly rate? 
  • Where can I see and print my W-2? 
  • What lane and step am I currently on? 

All of these questions and more can be answered by following the simple instructions in the "Employee Access Quick Reference Handbook" Download pdfEmployee_Access_Quick_Reference.pdf

  • I’ve taken extra classes. Do I qualify for an increase? Please contact HR for all inquiries concerning pay increases.  801-826-5500


  • How do I request a day off? CLICK HERE- Time off is only available to full-time contracted employees for the following:
    • Family or sick leave should be used first.
    • Vacation can be used at any time with supervisor approval.
    • Personal leave can not be used before or after a holiday, or on the first and last five days of school
    • Please see the Time Off tab for further information

Payroll FAQ

Q:  How will summer feed hours be paid with semi-monthly pay and True Time? 
A:  Summer feed are True Time hours.  They will be paid according to the True Time pay schedule starting July 1st.  If the employee is contracted too, they will receive 3 paychecks in July and August...True Time and the Contract Pay.

Q:  When will the stipend for licensed technicians be paid?
It will be paid the last payday in November.

Q:  How will my paper timesheets or stipends be paid when we are paid semi monthly?
You will be paid the last payday of the month we receive the paper timesheet.  All paper timesheets received in the payroll department by the second buisness day of the month should be paid by the last payday of the same month we receive it. (Pending Area Approval)

Q:  When does the semi-monthly pay begin?
Semi-monthly paydays for 242 and 245 day contracts will begin in July
      Semi-monthly paydays for 206 to 216 day contracts will begin in August
      Semi-monthly paydays for 149 to 196 day contracts will begin in September

Payroll Quick Reference

  • Payday is the paid twice a month:  the 15th and the last day of the month—new teachers, bus drivers, and nutrition employee’s first paychecks are September 15th every year.
  • Any changes to your paycheck (W-4, Direct Deposit, 401K) to Payroll by the 7th and 22nd of the month to be included in the next scheduled Pay Day.
  • True Time timesheets are submitted every Friday.
  • ESP Employees are responsible for entering their own time-off in Skyward (Certified teachers are entered through AESOP). 
  • Absence/Attendance Incentive is a District bonus paid in July when 2 or fewer absences are taken.  It is available to Teachers and ESP/Classified, but not to Admin.  

                  *  For the 2017 Absence Incentive - You will be paid in at the end of July when you are paid your contract.

  • Skyward Employee Access contains all personal information about the employee.  Items such as check stubs, W-2’s, current and past pay rates, monthly pay amount, current direct deposit bank account, and current W-4 elections can all be found here.
  • Remember contract pay is spread over 24 pay periods (including summer months for 180 day contracts).  If an employee starts in the middle of the school year, their semi-monthly pay will be calculated based on the number of days they will actually work, then divided by the remaining pay days in the contract year.
  • For more information CLICK HERE


Canyons Payroll Department
Main #801-826-5595 / Fax 801-826-5385
Shana Lowe                    801-826-5424
Shannon Mortensen         801-826-5433
Janet Pearson                 801-826-5342
Kathy Aitken                   801-826-5326
Lana Deuel                      801-826-5513

Where do I find my Employee ID?

Your Employee ID is a six -digit number assigned to each employee displayed in Employee Access. 
  1. In your browser, go to
  2. Click on Employee Access
  3. Enter your Login ID and Password
  4. Click the Sign in button or press the Enter button
  5. Click on the Employee Information button
  6. Under Employee Information, click on Personal Information
  7. Your Employee ID is displayed under Custom Forms
  8. Click the link for Employee ID.  Your name and Employee ID will be displayed.

For step by step instructions concerning "Employee Access Quick Reference" CLICK HERE

Voluntary Payroll Deduction

Employees have the option to have payroll deductions for the following:  CEA,  USEA,   403b,   EMIA,  community partners (United Way)
  • What if I want to stop having a voluntary deduction taken from my check? Contact the payroll office at 801-826-5595 and we will advise you


If a garnishment has been ordered, you will receive prior notification in the mail. These could include: student loans, tax levies, Social Security repayment child support and court-ordered deductions. We do not accept voluntary or non-court ordered garnishments.

School Secretary Resources

1095-C Reporting

The 1095-C form will be mailed to you from the insurance department by the end of March.  For further information you can contact the insurace department 801-826-5428

Payroll Directory people
Main Number (801) 826-5595

Name   Number
Shana Lowe    (801) 826-5424
Shannon Mortensen    (801) 826-5433
Kathy Aitken    (801) 826-5326
Janet Pearson    (801) 826-5342
Lana Deuel    (801) 826-5513