From “Hamlet” to “Urinetown,” each of Canyons’ high schools — and several middle schools — will be presenting a variety of musicals and plays beginning later this month.
“Our goal is to create a unique version of the world’s most famous play that will cause audiences to realize they can understand Shakespeare,” says the award-winning Hillcrest drama teacher Josh Long. Hillcrest’s production will feature three different versions of Shakespeare’s original script for a streamlined performance, transported into a modern setting, with digital screens surrounding the audience.
Long chose to present “Hamlet” as an additional challenge to his students, who are already four-time Shakespeare Competition champions and four-time State Champions.
Here is a rundown of CSD's theatrical productions:
- Alta: The Crucible, 7 p.m. Feb. 22-25 @ Alta auditorium
- Jordan High: Jane Austen’s “Emma,” 7 p.m. March 2-4, 6 @ Jordan auditorium
- Hillcrest: Hamlet, 7 p.m., March 17-18, 20 @ Hillcrest auditorium
- Corner Canyon: Urinetown, 7 p.m. May 17-20 @ Corner Canyon auditorium
- Draper Park Middle: The Lion King Jr. 7:30 p.m. March 7-11
- Mt. Jordan Middle: Fame! Jr. 7 p.m. May 12, 16-18