Two Canyons District record-holding student athletes and this year's 5A gridiron champions are nomineees in the Governor's State of Sport Awards
, which honor excellence in athletics. Winners are chosen by the public via online voting.
Votes can be submitted Monday, March 4, 2013 through Tuesday, April 9, 2013 at midnight.High School Female Athlete — Brianna Francis
High School Male Athlete — Austin Kafentzis
- Two-time 5A Female Swimmer of the Year
- 4-time Utah High School 5A State Champion
- 5A and state record holder
- Alta High records in the 100 Breaststroke, 100 Backstroke, 200 Individual Medley
- 3-time USA High School All-American
- Holds 19 state swimming records
- Passing: 200 completed; 313 attempted for 3018 yards and 32 touchdowns
- Rushing: 237 attempts; 1884 yards for 7.95 yards per attempt, 26 touchdowns
- 58 touchdowns accounted for in 2012
- Threw Javelin 199’ 5’’ for 5A state record
- 5A State Champion in Javelin
High School Team — Jordan High School Football Team
- Team had 6,962 yards of total offense to set a new state record
- Team averaged 49.1 points per game in the 2012 season
- Seven 1st team All-State players and two 2nd team All-State players
- Outscored opponents in the playoffs 198-28
Awards will be presented in nine categories including Female High School Athlete, Male High School Athlete, Female Collegiate/Pro Athlete, Male Collegiate Athlete, Male Pro Athlete, Highlight of the Year, Game or Event of the Year, Coach of the Year and Team of the Year.
A committee made up of Utah sports media and industry leaders chose the nominees.
Winners will be announced Tuesday, April 16, 2013 during a ceremony at the Energy Solutions Arena.
In addition, an Olympian of the Year will be awarded, a "Team Utah" Sports Partner of the Year will be awarded to the United States Ski and Snowboard Association, and a Lifetime Achievement in Sport award will be presented to Spencer Fox Eccles.